Monday, 11 August 2014

No More Waste: Yogurt Cake Recipe

If you don't already know, I hate wasting items; toiletries, cosmetics, clothes, food. Anything! I get a buzz when I throw something away, especially if I actually didn't like it, but managed to use it anyway. It gives me a strange satisfied feeling. 

Food is a massive waste issue in our house. There are only 2 of us that live here and on average we must waste approximately £10-£15 worth of food every week. The most popular food items that we tend to waste are full punnet's of unopened strawberrys and grapes, baby corn on the cobs, full broccoli's and yogurts to name a few.

Lately, I've made myself more aware of what is in our fridge, attempting to plan our meals accordingly in regards to the 'best before' dates. If we have really struggled to use up a food item, I have forced myself to be more adventurous and create some form of recipe from these foods.

2 examples of this were last week I had 3 banana's left in the fruit bowl that were going a little speckly on the skin (I hate soft banana's!). Knowing they wouldn't be eaten up, I attempted to make a banana loaf. I felt like I had almost gained a pudding for free because every ingredient I already had access to without having to purchase extra. Unfortunately it was my first attempt at a banana loaf and it didn't go to plan, but that's a different story for a different day! Either way, it was nice that I attempted to do something productive with the bananas that we purchased with our hard earned money, as opposed to just waiting a few more days to then throw them in the bin.

I also realized I had a tub of unopened Onken yogurt. I usually make smoothies out of these but I thought I'd try something different, and attempt to make yogurt cakes.

These were so simple and quick to do (perfect if you have children!). I added a variety of other ingredients to the yogurt to add both texture and taste. The great thing about these is the recipe is so flexible; there's so much you can add without going wrong. You can keep it healthy like I did and add raisins or nuts, or be a little naughty and add chocolate chips, or even crush up your favourite chocolate bar and throw it in. Most things work! The consistency of the mixture helps you to change the shape - why not fill up your ice cube tray and give yourself a huge handful of small treats? Or get those wacky lolly moulds out and turn them into yogurt lollies on a stick! (I wish I did this with mine as they started to get a little messy as they melted!).

Such a fun and easy way to use up your yogurt!

What you will need:
  • Some form of container or mould to distribute your mixture into
  • Lolly sticks (optional)
  • Yogurt
  • Optional extra's (i.e. chocolate chips, fruit, raisins, nuts etc)
  • Teaspoon

    Method:

  • Distribute the yogurt equally amongst your containers or moulds. I had the perfect sized plastic tubs that I purchased from dotcomgiftshop a while back (can I just add these are the handiest tubs ever!).
  • Add your optional extras (I used raisins, Dr Oetker's 'Eton Mess' that I received from my July Degusta Box for added texture (this stuff tastes yummy by itself too!). I also used my Madagascan vanilla grinder for the first time too! These added texture and made it a little more unique. See - you don't have to wait to bake cakes to use these
  • Mix well and freeze (preferably overnight). When you're ready to sample, dip the mould into hot water for a few seconds to loosen up the (now) solid mixture, and you're good to go!






SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Comment away! I love reading them :-)

Blogger Template Created by pipdig